HomeContact UsLinksSubmissionsGuestbookOrder Form

Video StoreMuseumContestsMessage BoardFeaturesWhat's New?


Stories Panel

The Night Tim "Mr. Wrestling" Woods
Was Late to the Ring

By Frank Dusek

In the spring of 1979 I was wrestling in a spot show one Saturday night called Norcross, Georgia. Unlike most Saturday night towns where we were faced with a long trip back to Atlanta, Norcoss is actually right on the loop around Atlanta so we were all looking forward to being in the clubs by 11PM.

In those days Jim Barnett's Atlanta office required all the wrestlers to stay until the main event was over. The idea was that, if they had a riot in the main event, there would be wrestlers in the dressing rooms to help even the odds.

I can't recall whom I worked with, probably Dennis Hall or Rufus R. Jones. I do remember that the main event was the Masked Superstar taking on Tim "Mr. Wrestling" Woods.

About 9:30 pm, after the intermission was over, Superstar entered the ring. They always introduce the heels first in the old days so the "boos" wouldn't interfere with the baby face's entrance.

All eyes were glued to the dressing room door, but no Tim Woods.

Five minutes go by. All the wrestlers were getting angry. Where was Woods? After all, like I said, we were ready for a short evening. After 6 or 7 minutes, even the fans began to get antsy.

After about 10 minutes the referee exited the ring to find out why the delay.

We were wrestling in a high school gym and dressing in the locker room below. Woods had decided that, as a rib, he would hide in an equipment locker room and jump out as the Superstar went by.

The only problem was, when he closed the equipment room door, it locked! To make matters worse, the only man with a key, the janitor, had left for home.

We had to taken another intermission of almost half an hour while someone ran down to his house for the key.

Even with the shortened main event we didn't get home until about the usual time.

Frank Dusek is a second-generation wrestler from one of the most famous wrestling families ever. He had a solid career as a wrestler and later managed several wrestlers to major titles. He also spent time as a broadcaster, promoter and matchmaker. His first memories of the wrestling business are selling programs for his father when he was 4 years old.


Back to Top of Page  |  Return to Stories Home Page 
Return to Museum Home Page


1999 Content: Frank Dusek, Mark Nulty
1999 Design: Jan Herod
Advanced Programming and Web Editing: Dave and Kim Kandz